Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Cassette skirt

My inspiration for this project was what looked like a square scarf, purchased for $1 at an an op-shop. I loved the colour and adored the pattern of tiny cassettes all over it. It had the name Ted's printed in the corner, which I immediately associated with Ted's camera shop, but the font was different. It seems strange that an electronics store would sell scarves, but then I considered whether it was perhaps part of the uniform for female staff?


For this project I cut the scarf up into strips for a panel skirt and teamed it with some black theatre cloth and bits from an old green table cloth.

 With the very tiny amount of left-over fabric, I cut out the shape of a cassette, over-locked the edges and finished it off with two mother-of-pearl buttons from Grandma's button tin.


MP3's are fantastic, but there is something aesthetically pleasing about tapes, Cd's and records. I'm already thinking about matching accessories for this skirt...

No comments:

Post a Comment