Sunday, October 24, 2010

Tea towel skirt



Summer is just starting to hit Melbourne and I started thinking about the holiday we took in 2003 to the Greek Islands. I found a tourist tea towel of Sicily at an op-shop and that combined with some left-over red cotton was enough to inspire this skirt.

This was also the first piece that I used to try out my BRAND NEW over locker. Unfortunately it's very easy to get carried away with these things and so this nice little 'Island of the Sun' patch is actually covering a boo boo i.e. frustratingly large hole.


I'm not really a hugely curvy person, but I had made the skirt so straight, that it was difficult to walk in. I generally find walking to be a necessary mode of transport, so I fixed the problem by putting a slit up the back and decorating it with pieces cut off the edge of the tea towel.

Tea towels have huge potential as an upcycling material. They generally have bright, colourful graphics and opp-shops are generally only too pleased to find somebody who actually wants them!

No comments:

Post a Comment